The way the market is right now you have to take advantage of creative ways to take out healthcare expenditures instead of waiting for healthcare costs to be cut by the government. According to the National Coalition On Health Care, employee donations have increased more than 120% since 2000, while out of pocket expenses rose 115%. Here are some crucial information how to save money on healthcare costs:
– Use a Flexible Spending Account. It’s an employee benefits plan that allows employees to set aside a portion of their pretax earnings to pay for qualified expenses such as a doctor co-pays and prescriptions. This account provides a substantial tax advantage since contributions are made prior to your paycheck is taxed. One valuable disadvantage of having a Flexible Spending Account is if you don’t take advantage of all the money in your account within the year, you lost it.
– You should do your homework throughout open enrollment. Conducting the proper research before selecting reimbursement not only saves money, but ensures your family’s needs are met. Ask providers if they offer preventive care with no co-pays, reduce deductions or various credits. Investigate or compare the premium, co-pays, out-of-pocket expenses, deductibles, and lifetime or once a year caps.
– Take advantage of a Health Saving Account. It’s like a private saving account with investment options for healthcare, except for it’s all tax free. Participation through payroll deductions allows employee contributions to be pretaxed. It also allows consumers to save for upcoming medical and retiree health expenses. It rolls over each year.
– Ask about the tax breaks because you can write off, as an itemized deduction, all health costs after they arrive at 7.5% of their adjusted gross income. For little businesses, all health insurance premiums are deductible. If your business is a S corporation, your medical premiums are 100% deductible but they will be added to your W-2 as wages. Itemized deductions can include medical and dental care, prescriptions, and weight loss programs.
– Carefully read your bill. Check to ensure that the services attributed to you were really received by you. Go over the bill to check for errors and duplications. Save all receipts from the doctor’s office, canceled checks, receipts, and billing statements. Once the insurance source has paid and you have established your final bill, call the insurance company to go over the statement if you have concerns.
By healthcare being so expensive it’s best to join with the millions of citizens who are taking advantage of creative ways to cut healthcare costs. So stay healthy and wealthy by using these cost cutting moves to provide relief for your healthcare expenses.